Conversion of State Plane to WGS84

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I am trying to find the correct T-SQL code to convert X,Y State Plane coordinates (NAD83) to WGS84 coordinates. I have successfully installed SQL Spatial Tools and I have searched these discussion topics for assistance, but I am unable to assist myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which function(s) should I use and how? I have a large table with X,Y values stored as integers. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Developer
Jan 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

@alembic6

As you have discovered, SQL Server Spatial does not offer any coordinate projection/transformation methods as part of the core offering. There are several reasons for this which I won’t delve into here. The coordinate system projection code provided in the CodePlex SQL Server Spatial Tools Project is designed as working examples of how this might be done but will not, in themselves, solve this particular problem for you. There are several alternatives. First, you could, using the CodePlex sample code as a framework, create new CLR-based T-SQL functions to do this task. The algorithms are well known and published on the Internet in a variety of places. Or you could use the Proj.4 library available from OSGeo along with some CLR-code to create some new T-SQL functions. Or you could purchase the Feature Manipulation Engine (FME) from Safe Software. If you are not familiar with FME but are interested in this approach, I would suggest that you avail yourself of the US$500 package, FME Microsoft SQL Server Data Loader Edition (please check with Safe Software for current pricing). All FME editions allow you to easily and efficiently project coordinates and perform datum transformations. Lastly, you could check with Blue Marble Geographics and see what they have to offer. I have not worked with their product but there has been some discussion with them on this subject.

Let us know if this information assists you or if you need addition guidance.

Thanks,

-Ed

Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 4:07 PM
To: Ed Katibah
Subject: Conversion of State Plane to WGS84 [sqlspatialtools:286893]

I am trying to find the correct T-SQL code to convert X,Y State Plane coordinates (NAD83) to WGS84 coordinates. I have successfully installed SQL Spatial Tools and I have searched these discussion topics for assistance, but I am unable to assist myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which function(s) should I use and how? I have a large table with X,Y values stored as integers. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Ed - 

Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer and your suggestions for further avenues of pursuit! I very much appreciate your time and effort. I'll look into FME Microsoft SQL Server Data Loader Edition.

Warmest regards,

Joel